Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Making a Pest of Myself (Friday August 31, 2007)












I was surprisingly awake upon my arrival in Budapest. Considering I didn’t sleep much on the plane (maybe a total of 2 or 3 30-60 minute naps in total) & was seriously sleep-deprived before I even left home, I was glad to be somewhat conscious & not too irritable or jet-lagged as I made my way through the airport (which didn’t have a long line for immigration or much wait for baggage). I was pleasantly surprised that it took no more than 25 minutes after we pulled up to the gate until the time I was ready to hop on the mini-bus.

The truth is that I like to travel, but hate “travelling”. By that, I mean that sitting on airports & airplanes for hours on end isn’t very fun (even when the travelling is for “fun”, rather than “work”). I’m sure it would be more enjoyable if I was someone who could easily sleep on a plane. Sadly, that’s not a skill I possess.

To that end, I’ve become a *very* big fan of having a nice place to stay (that’s not too hard to get to…or find) upon my arrival from a long trip. Whether it was the Marriott in Zurich (2006), the Novotel in Sydney (2004), the Renaissance in Sydney (2000) or the Rydges in Auckland (1999), this strategy has been exceptionally helpful when I have arrived in the morning & can check into the hotel early. This time, I’m staying at the Budapest Marriott. The first of several Marriott properties I’ll be visiting in the next 3 weeks. And yes…that’s related to the fact my travelling partner, Charlie, works for Marriott (and can often get some seriously low rates). A few of the low rates might be classified as obscene, therefore not appropriate to report in this PG-13 rated blog.

This hotel is situated right next to the Danube River in Central Pest. It is a very nice hotel, yet it would be even nicer if they weren’t in the midst of a major construction project. But that didn’t stop me from going down for a MAJOR coma.

After a relatively fulfilling nap/sleep/hibernation this afternoon (lasting about 6-7 hours), I more closely resembled a human being. I decided to take an evening stroll around Central Pest.

I walked along the Danube to the Chain Bridge, then headed inland towards Erzsebet Square (one of the many squares nearby, all of which sporting a well-lit sculpture of some sort). For a central touristy area, there were a lot of locals, mostly in the form of dozens of teenagers…mostly skateboarding. It’s interesting to think that none of these teenagers ever lived under communist rule.

Eventually, I found my way through Deak Square (stopping to buy a few groceries) & Vorosmarty Square to the head of Vaci Utca (the main pedestrian mall). Even though the many shops were closed, there were still a good number of people out, many sitting outdoors at the different restaurants (all seemingly focused at the tourist trade). I also came across a few attractive young ladies who inquired if I spoke English (which I conveniently forgot how to speak…as it’s a well-worn scam involving very expensive beverages).

Off on a side street was the first McDonalds behind the Iron Curtain. It was reported that this location was mobbed by all sorts of Eastern Europeans looking for a taste of the west. Even under communist rule, the Hungarians had a bit more autonomy & non-collectivism than residents of other eastern bloc countries.

I continued to walk along Vaci Utca all the way down to Budapest’s Great Market Hall. I then headed back over to the Danube (by the Liberty Bridge, currently closed for construction) & headed back up to the Marriott. This was a route I would repeat several times during my stay.

No comments: